Thursday, April 19, 2012

Visiting with Old Dicky, or is it Tricky Hickory? Oh, it's Old Hickory!




So on Friday morning, November 11, approximately 8 days after we left our apartment in Studio City, CA, we were still 2 days away from our new home in Greensboro, NC. We planned as we drove out of Tennessee that we would stop at the next tourist trap we came upon, which just happened to be the home of President Andrew Jackson, otherwise known as OLD HICKORY, not to be confused with the likes of President Nixon, commonly known as Old Tricky Dicky. (I just added in the "old" part for purposes of this blog.) So we rolled the RV into some heavy duty southern Confederate territory and spent a few hours at the plantation, where actors were dressed in period clothing and me being a Yankee (that is a northerner, not to be confused with a Yankees baseball fan-GO RED SOX!), I actually feared for my life. But all went well, and we made it out of the Hermitage unscathed. Unless I spoke, no one had ANY clue I was a Yankee! It was pretty trippy to see the slaves quarters where some archaeological work had been done, so of course I was all into that. Then we hit the cotton fields, and the home itself, which had some pretty cool original wallpaper that I thought would make a killer dress! Anyhow, that was our last tourist stop before hitting North Carolina...yahoo!! Just one more night in the RV (the cats were going bonkers by now) and one more day on the road. Greensboro, here we come!! I quickly scrambled to my laptop to start this blog, which was supposed to be a daily writing event, but as we all know now from reading this in 2012, the original blog never happened! But I did start...the proof is in the picture!!

1 comment:

  1. We were there last year (March) ... sorry we missed you :-)

    ReplyDelete